Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Marius: Fun with Foam

As decided a while back, Marius is on hold until I can get Giovanni in some state of completion. There are points, however, when my Assassin Threshold is maxed out and I crave some insane Elector Count. This weekend was just such a point so I had a go at carving the form for his breastplate.

By the end of the day, this is where we were:














I would have been completely up the creek if I didn't already have a breastplate to compare this too. So I grabbed my trusty 1480s cuirass, traced out a pattern onto the foam, and started to hack and slash. There was only one issue:










Yup, the foam isn't thick enough to give it the proper globose shape. (And I'm sorry but Marius NEEDS to have a globose breastplate. Question: Is it the shape of the cuirass or is it actually a giant gut? YOU'LL NEVER KNOW. Hint: It's both*)

Optimally, I would like to have the breast-and-back plate molded up and finished by the end of the month so I can wear it all in the Lilac Festival Parade with the other re-enactment geeks. Proooobably not going to happen though. But today, when taking patterns off the real!breast-plate, I thought "O hai, why don't you just wear that with the pauldrons?" This would entail the construction of a proper arming doublet so I don't die but I've got one started so we'll pick that up where we left off. Now it remains to be seen if I want to lug around 30 lbs of plate at Con or not...

Before I go, something very cool happened this morning. A bird hit our kitchen window (that wasn't the cool part) and when I went to investigate, I found this tiny yellow thing on its back with its legs in the air. It was okay, though - no broken bones and so I sat outside with it in my hand while it came to its senses. At one point, it decided the hand wasn't good enough so it flew on to my shoulder and decided it would stay there for the next two hours while I planned out the initial cuirass pattern. It was only after I identified it as a male yellow warbler that it came back around entirely. So I took it outside and off it flew.

And for proof that I'm not having you on:

















It's been brought to my attention that the latest posts are lacking stupid cat pictures. I hope this makes up for it.

Next post will feature epic weaponry and sarcasm.

*WARNING: As author becomes increasingly stressed, posts get increasingly ridiculous

No comments:

Post a Comment